Soooo… a lot has changed in the last 9 months because reasons. You all know. Moving on.
SPEEDY LIFE UPDATE:
– Lost my job in June, in part due to a manic episode brought on by overextending myself and not prioritizing self-care. Immediately started seeing a new therapist and psychiatrist, and fiddling with a new drug regimen that seems to be improving my quality of life in BIG WAYS.
– In July, I accepted a job offer on a cardiac-telemetry unit at a local hospital, but due to worsening de Quervain’s tendinosis in both wrists, my orthopedic surgeon decided that now was the PERFECT time to finally fix my wrists. Therapy, diclofenac, and braces had done nothing in the last couple years to improve my dexterity, range of motion, and pain. We scheduled the surgeries about 4 weeks apart. During the first wrist surgery, I aspirated and vomited, and had to be quickly intubated. The only bonus: I feel more empathy for my patients who have been intubated. That shit suuuuucks. The next two surgeries were planned intubations, which went smoother.
– I also found out in July that I needed another separate surgery due to a suspected endometrial polyp. This was done in August, sandwiched between my 2 wrist surgeries. Needless to say, I was in a bit of a haze this fall.
– September and October were rough, emotionally. At this point I hadn’t worked in 4 months, still had lingering pain and stiffness from the surgeries, and was feeling 100% useless as a human being. At the end of October, I accepted an RN position working on a child/adolescent mental health unit. I start working November 9th (!!!!!!!).
– I’ll be 31 in a little over a week. Can’t say that 30 has been good to me, but I have high hopes for 31? 31 was a year of growth, that’s for damn sure.
I have had SO MUCH TIME TO READ. My initial goal this year was 52 books – one for each week. As of today, I’ve surpassed my goal by 8 books. This is a 100% increase from last year’s 30 books – and all I did was read for an extra hour before going to bed. =)
2020’s Favorites (SO FAR):
The Annotated Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas A. Anderson), re-read
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong (James W. Loewen)
The Girl With Seven Names: A North Korean Defector’s Story (Hyeonseo Lee)
From Here To Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death (Caitlin Doughty)
Know My Name (Chanel Miller)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
Saga: Book One (Brian Vaughan, Fiona Staples), re-read
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1, Brandon Sanderson)
Nimona (Noelle Stevenson)
Thick: And Other Essays (Tressie McMillan Cottom)
The Fellowship Of The Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien), reread
This Is How You Lose The Time War (Amal El-Mohtar, Max Gladstone)
The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1, Becky Chambers)
The Last Wish (Witcher #0.5, Andrzej Sapkowski)
Baptism of Fire (Witcher #3, Andrzej Sapkowski)
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse #1, James S.A. Corey)
A Man Called Ove (Fredrik Backman)
A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)